Updated Hennepin / Ramsey Hospitality closings since smoking ban implementationUpdate 2012: Over 500 Minnesota bars and restaurants have closed since smoking bans were enacted in the land of 10,000+ unemployed hospitality workers.
A newly discovered official report from the State of Minnesota Auditor's Office proves what many of us against smoking bans always knew, smoking ban activists lied to the public and lawmakers when they said smoking bans were "good for business". This State of Minnesota official report found that one year after the statewide smoking ban, revenue was down on average 31.9% in bars and taverns.
Smoking bans, a large majority of which were enacted between 2002-2006, were a significant contributing factor to worldwide economic meltdown:
Something for taxpayers in smoking ban states to consider: Have you noticed that your property taxes continue to increase even as your property values decrease? Well, just because government over-regulation shut down thousands of bars & restaurants, eliminating millions even billions of dollars in local tax revenue, doesn't mean local government is going to do with less....guess who picks up the balance? You the taxpayer.
These businesses and jobs were eliminated by government intervention long before the economic crisis of '08-'09......and in fact were the cause of the aforementioned economic turmoil as the economic effects were identical in hundreds of other smoking bans around the globe.
See which MN lawmakers voted to eliminate choice and jobs here in MN. Here's a spoiler alert for you.....liberal lawmakers, called DFL here in MN, voted approximately 85-95% in favor of smoking bans....Republicans voted approximately 85-95% in favor of PRIVATE hospitality owners making their own business decisions....see vote link above.
Just remember what the Nicoderm (RWJF) funded smoking ban lobbyists told lawmakers "...smoking bans are good for business....." They just didn't mention that the business they were referring to was the Johnson & Johnson pharmaceutical nicotine business:
(Closed businesses list updated 4/13/2009: As of 10/1/2007 a statewide smoking ban began to have a negative financial impact on bars and restaurants outside of the metro area, the metro area closings started to occur after Mpls, St. Paul, and Bloomington smoking bans in 4/2005)
According to this 2004 end of year Star Tribune article only 14 establishments closed in '04.....the last full year without a smoking ban. (Scroll down to The party's over heading)The party's over. A tough year for restaurant closings meant saying farewell to Chet's Taverna, Marimar, Giorgio's on France, Livingston's, Chives, Zaroff's Delicatessen, Margaux Limitee, August Moon, El Ray de Oro, 13 Moons, Amsterdam Bistro & Bar, Amie, Chi-Chi's and Stuart Anderson's Cattle Co.Since implementing smoking bans the Twin Cities area has seen over 400 hospitality closings......the facts speak for themselves, smoking bans are very bad for business and our economy.
Minneapolis, Bloomington & St. Paul MN. hospitality establishments out of business since the smoking ban began 3/31/05...... 100 closed in 20 months.
1) Hop's Maple Grove, MN.
2) Denny's Restaurant Plymouth, MN.
3) Copelands Minneapolis
4) TGIF Brooklyn Center, MN.
5) TGIF Minneapolis, MN.
6) Nick & Tony's Minneapolis, MN.
7) America's Original Sportsbar Mall of America Bloomington, MN.
8) Jillian's Mall of America Bloomington, MN.
9) Park Tavern Bloomington, MN.
10) Larry's Lounge in Long Lake, MN.
11) Goodfellow's Minneapolis, MN.
12) Chang O'Hara's (bankruptcy protection) St. Paul (Now the Happy Gnome)
13) Mainstreet Bar & Cafe Maple Grove, MN.
14) Bilimbi Bay Minneapolis, MN.
15) Bilimbi Bay Apple Valley, MN.
16) Bilimbi Bay Eden Prairie, MN.
17) MN Sports Cafe
18) Jacobs 101 Minneapolis
19) Café Di Napoli Minneapolis
20) Majors21) Southtown Bingo Bloomington, MN.
22) Italiani's Plymouth, MN.
23) 3 Muses
24) 13 Moons Minneapolis, MN.
25) 510 Restaurant Minneapolis, MN.
27) Chez Foley Wayzata, MN
28) Chives29) El Rey de Oro
30) Mpls. Café Minneapolis, MN.
31) Soul City Supper Club
32) Tonic of Uptown Minneapolis, MN.
33) Porter's Minneapolis, MN.
34) Molly Quinn's Minneapolis, MN. (local media covers this closing)
Breakaway Bar -(Luke is still hanging on as best he can, stop by and say hello)
35) Minnehaha Grill
36) Margarita Bella Minneapolis, MN.
37) Olive Garden38) Knuckleheads Comedy Club Mall of America Bloomington, MN.
39) Asian Infusion, St. Paul, MN.
40) Big E.’s Soul Food, Minneapolis, MN.
41) Chet’s Taverna, St. Paul, MN.
42) Ciatti’s, Maplewood, MN.
43) Jazzmine’s, Minneapolis, MN.
44) Katsu Sushi, St. Paul, MN.
45) Le Bambou, Minneapolis
46) Mangia, Minneapolis, MN.
47) Margaux Limitée, St. Paul, MN.
48) Marketplace Café, Minneapolis, MN.
49) Red, Minneapolis, MN.
50) Rockin’ Lobster, St. Paul, MN.
51) Bobino's Starlight Lounge, Mpls, MN.
52) Wazobia Nigerian Cafe, Minneapolis
54) Player's Mall of America Bloomington, MN
55) Shamrock's W. 7th St. Paul (rumor is this one is a personal vendetta by some pro-smoking ban city council members in St. Paul against an owner who testified against the ban. In other words the city refused to extend a license on a technicality, but that's just the rumor from some St. Paul hospitality business owners, feel free to correct me on this one Mr. Thune)
56) Mojito's St. Louis Park, MN.
57) Stasius Bar Minneapolis, MN (reopened under new mgmt?) Bob Moffitt Communications Dir. for American Lung MN once referred to Stasiu's as his "old stomping grounds". I doubt he shed a tear though in realizing his role in contributing to their demise, because as the Lunger tells us no bars or restaurants have gone out of business due to the smoking bans. In fact, to hear the media & Bob tell it, none of these 76 establishments went out of business at all, they've simply closed their doors for an extended period of time to count all the profits that the smoking bans have bestowed upon them.58) Little Jack's Minneapolis story here
59) The Buttery St. Paul
60) Cracker Barrel Brooklyn Park, MN.
61) Perkins St. Louis Park, MN.
62) Howie G's Plymouth, MN.
63) Jake's Moundsview, MN.
64) Dixie’s Calhoun Minneapolis, MN.
65) Hamlin’s Cafe
66) Loring Grill67) Pineda Tacos Minneapolis, MN.
68) Sidney's Minneapolis, MN.
69) Sidney's Minnetonka, MN.
70) Sidney's St. Paul, MN.
71) Sidney's Edina, MN.
72) Zeno's Minneapolis, MN.
73) Zeno's Eden Prairie, MN.
74) Louis XIII Edina, MN.
75) Bobino's Minneapolis (not same as Starlight Lounge)
76) Diner Minneapolis, MN.
77) Big City Tavern
78) Tiburon Minneapolis, MN.
79) Viking Bar Minneapolis, MN. (And now for the real shocker the uber liberal Star Tribune writes a page 2 story which attributes it demise to the smoking ban.......the Star Tribune until now seemed as though they were in the pocket of pharmaceutical nicotine interests.)
80) Sharx Nightclub Minneapolis, MN.
81) Peter's Grill Minneapolis, MN. Incidentally, Peter's Grill was one of the establishments which was about to buy Smokeeter air cleaners from me prior to talk of the smoking bans. Thank god the city council spared them from having to make that investment.
82) Mike's Bar St. Paul, MN (read more here)
For those readers not from here, St. Paul city council member David Thune was one of the first lawmakers influenced by Nicoderm funded activists....some of these same Nicoderm funded activists like the American Cancer Society (who received $99 million from Nicoderm partner Robert Wood Johnson Foundation RWJF) contributed big $$ to local politicians to influence their vote.
83) Billy's Lighthouse Long Lake, MN.
84) Over the Rainbow St. Paul, MN. (read more here)85) Boom Minneapolis, MN. (read more here)
86) Sophia's Minneapolis, MN.
87) Pizza Pie & I Minneapolis
88) Grandma's Saloon & Eatery Plymouth, MN.
89) The Little Wagon Minneapolis -update: reopening 3/07 under new management90) Ricky's Loft Minneapolis
91) Bennigan's Maplewood, MN.
92) Homestead Restaurant Golden Valley, MN.
93) Pickle's Lounge St. Paul, MN.
94) LeVain Minneapolis this closing is also mentioned on their website.
95) The Carousel St. Paul, MN.
96) Irv's Minneapolis, MN.
97) Sully's Minneapolis "...closing Jan. 31, 2007 due to drop in business because of smoking ban..." -comment provided by Sully's management to Clearing the Air in a telephone interview.
98) Main Event Bar Minneapolis
99) Odaa Minneapolis
100) Robert Lee Restaurant Minneapolis
101) Baja Riverside Bar & Grill Minneapolis. This article points out how a record number of closed bars & restaurants leads to a dangerous trend of unsafe neighborhoods.
102) Sports Break Bar St. Paul
103) The Quest Minneapolis (for those unfamiliar, this is one of the largest nightclubs in the Twin Cities, once owned by Prince) story here in City Pages
104) Five Restaurant & Street Lounge Minneapolis. The Star Tribune has the story here, but will typically remove the link within days.....the Star & Sickle is embarrassed that the smoking ban agenda, which they endorsed, is destroying the hospitality industry here in record numbers.
105) Auriga Minneapolis
106) Urban Wildlife Bar and Grill, Minneapolis
107) Popeye's Minneapolis
108) All Stars Bar Spring Park, MN
109) Westrum's Tavern Minneapolis, MN. Southwest Journal tells the story, though they don't tell you what we all know.....Judy Westrum's 40 year old business really began to decline once the smoking ban was enacted. The medias' intentional suppression of the financial damages inflicted upon the people in the hospitality industry by government smoking bans is an absolute crime.110) Decoy's/AlleyCat, NE Minneapolis
111) Italian Pie Shoppe St. Paul, MN. (original site closed, now in new location)
112) The Lake Inn, Minneapolis
113) Trikx St. Paul, MN closing announcement
114) Timberlodge Steakhouse Roseville
115) Andy's Garage St. Paul, MN.
116) Fhima's St. Paul, MN.
117) French Press St. Paul, MN.
118) Andy's Tap Bloomington, MN. story in the Star Tribune . But true to their pro-smoking ban agenda, the Star Tribune would never report that Andy's or any of the other 118 bars & restaurants were forced to close due to revenue losses from the smoking bans. Andy's survived 42 years in business....suddenly and mysteriously the Strib would have you believe the customer base for Andy's Tap just disappeared. With 42 years business experience for Andy's, 70 years for Porter's Bar, 40 years for Westrum's Tavern.......it must have been an unprecedented, colossal, and historic event which forced these businesses to close; and it was...........the smoking bans.
119) Backyard Bar & Grill Bloomington, MN
120) Bridgeman's, Richfield
121) Riverside Restaurant, Minneapolis
122) The Poodle Club, Minneapolis
123) TGI Fridays Brooklyn Park, MN.
124) Coyote Grille Brooklyn Center, MN. Mgmt. here holds no punches as they boldly report the smoking ban led to their demise more here
125) A Rebours St. Paul, MN. more here from the Pioneer Press (they (Pio Press) are known for removing their links within days)
126) Margaux St. Paul, MN. closing announcement here
127 ) Chico Chica St Paul, MN
128 ) Ruam Mit Thai St. Paul, MN
129 ) Cafe of the Americas, Minneapolis, MN
130) Willie's Wine Bar Minneapolis, MN.
131) Old Chicago Minneapolis, MN. (Comment from a reader) Just heard on the news that Old Chicago in DT Minnepolis will close due to the "decrease of traffic in the area." No mention of the smoking ban, but I have heard from bartenders at Old Chicago that the "decrease in traffic" started with the smoking ban.
132) Shelly's Restaurant St. Louis Park, MN has closed as announced in the Star Tribune.
133) Roberts on 10 Maplewood, MN.
134) DD's Cafe Crystal, MN.
135) TimberLodge Steakhouse St. Louis Park, MN.
136) DooLittle's Plymouth, MN.
137) DooLittle's Coon Rapids, MN.
138) TGI Friday's Plymouth, MN.
139) Copper Bleu Lakeville, MN.
140) Pizza Nea Minneapolis, MN.
141) Rush (formerly Rodeo) Cottage Grove, MN.
142) T.F. Boonies Detroit Lakes, MN.143) Dale's Beltrami County, MN.
144) Git R Done Beltrami County, MN.
145) Mason's Beltrami County, MN.
146) Northwoods Steakhouse Beltrami County, MN.
147) Pour Willie's 71 Bar Beltrami County, MN.
148) Union Station Beltrami County, MN.
149) Ember's Mankato, MN. Co-owner Nicole couldn’t fight back tears while talking about how much she’s going to miss her co-workers and customers.
150) Larry’s Bar in Fergus Falls, MN. story here
151) The Broken Axe Moorhead, MN. Management stated by phone that the smoking ban was the greatest single contributing factor for the loss of revenue and subsequent closing. 12/31/07 was their last night of business.
154) Detoy's Family Restaunt Granite Falls, MN
155) Langesson's Benson, MN
164) Cafe Limon Minneapolis, MN.
165) Chang Bang Minneapolis, MN.
166) 700 Express Minneapolis, MN.
167) Soba's Minneapolis, MN.
168) Cafe 44 Minneapolis, MN.
169) Pane Vino Dolce Minneapolis, MN.
171) Don Pablo's Woodbury, MN.
172) Baker's Square Plymouth, MN.
176) Joe's Crab Shack Maple Grove, MN.
178) Baker's Square St. Paul, MN.
179) Baker's Square Minneapolis, MN.
180) Baker's Square Stillwater, MN.
181) Baker's Square St. Anthony, MN.
184) Hillcrest Bingo St. Paul, MN.
185) Midway Bingo St. Paul, MN.
186) Cottage Grove Bingo (formerly Fantasy Cruise Bingo) Cottage Grove, MN. the closing of bingo halls due to smoking bans, documented here, is particularly damaging because bingo halls provided tens of millions back to the community in charitable funding for hockey leagues, little league baseball, etc.......not anymore; thanks to the Nicoderm special interests and the non-profits they funded. (By the way I personally designed and provided Cottage Grove Bingo a $35,000+ state of the art, air filtration system......theirs was the best of the best)
189) Lotus Restaurant Minneapolis, MN.
203) West Indie's Soul St. Paul, MN.
204) Ravello's Long Lake, MN.
208) The Vault Belle Plaine, MN.
214) Mysore Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
215) Chevy's Fresh Mex Minneapolis, MN.
216) Manhatten Loft Minneapolis, MN.
217) Canary Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
218) Little Nikki's Minneapolis, MN.
221) American Legion Bloomington, MN.
223) Starbucks 599 Northtown Drive NE. Blaine, MN.
224) Starbucks 2331 108th Lane NE. Blaine, MN.
225) Starbucks 12555 Ulysses St. NE. Blaine, MN.
226) Starbucks 5512 Brooklyn Blvd. Brooklyn Center, MN.
227) Starbucks 615 66th Av. N. Brooklyn Center, MN.
228) Starbucks 6901 Brooklyn Blvd. Brooklyn Center, MN.
229) Starbucks 14637 County Road 11 Burnsville, MN
230) Starbucks 250 E. Traveler's Trail Burnsville, MN.
231) Starbucks 3450 124th Av. NW. Coon Rapids:, MN.
232) Starbucks 2740 Main St. Coon Rapids, MN.
233) Starbucks 13131 Riverdale Drive Coon Rapids, MN.
234) Starbucks 1140 Torgerson Drive Fairmont, MN
235) Starbucks 2280 Grant St. Faribault, MN.
236) Starbucks 1731 N. Frontage Road Hastings, MN.
237) Starbucks 3156 Century Av. N. Mahtomedi, MN.
238) Starbucks 1881 Madison Av. 239) 1680 Warren St. Mankato, MN.
240) Starbucks 1201 E. Main St. Marshall, MN.
241) Starbucks 5101 County Road 101 Minnetonka, MN.
242) Starbucks 5980 Neal Av. N Oak Park Heights, MN.
243) Starbucks 4000 Annapolis Lane Plymouth, MN.
244) Starbucks 144 Tyler Road N. Red Wing, MN.
245) Starbucks 2665 Commerce Drive NE. Rochester, MN.
246) Starbucks 1539 17th Av. E Shakopee, MN.
247) Starbucks 242 W. 7th St. St. Paul, MN.
248) Starbucks 9000 Hudson Rd. Woodbury, MN(What's the reason for reporting the closing of non-smoking places like Starbucks? Many of the Starbucks in MN went smoke-free voluntarily before the statewide smoking ban. Logically then, much of their success was that they (and a couple other non-smoking establishments) had cornered the small smoke-free niche market, but once every other establishment was forced to ban smoking.....Starbuck's no longer had the corner on that smoke-free business......revenue losses and closure quickly followed)
250) Bennigan's Bloomington, MN. Nationwide Bennigan closing story here.
251) Steak & Ale Bloomington, MN.
252) Durkins Pub Anoka, MN.
253) Narrows Maple Grove, MN.
255) BJ's Lounge Minneapolis, MN.
256) Johnny A's Bar & Grill Minneapolis, MN. -owner John Alexander testified against the smoking bans on numerous ocassions, knowing from the beginning that the Nicoderm funded activists were lying when they claimed smoking bans were good for business......now he has firsthand proof that he was right.
258) Bill-A-Bong Bar & Grill Bloomington, MN.
265) Canyon Grille Eden Prairie, MN.
268) Pi Nightclub (which took over above Legion) Minneapolis, MN. is closing according to Pioneer Press
269) Lodge Bar Minneapolis, MN.
274) Rossi's Steak House Minneapolis, MN.
275) Babalu Minneapolis, MN.
276) Otho Minneapolis, MN.
277) Cintia's of Mexico Minneapolis, MN.
278) Safari Restaurant Minneapolis, MN.
279) Cafe Havana Minneapolis, MN. owner John Rimarcik phoned me back in 2005 proclaiming he was happy to have the city of Minneapolis ban smoking.....at the time I didn't think that would be a profitable ordinance for the city's only cigar bar, apparently I was right.
280) Restaurant Indio Minneapolis, MN.
281) Sawatdee Minneapolis (uptown)
282) Bavarian Haus Hutchinson, MN. (announcement in Hutchinson Leader)
283) Morelos Mex Grill Minneapolis, MN.
284) Cliquot Club Minneapolis, MN.
285) Monte's Steakhouse Faribault, MN.
286) Crab House Fridley, MN.
287) Harold's Chicken Shack Minneapolis, MN.
288) Matty B's Urban Bar & Restaurant St. Paul, MN.
289) Vera's Minneapolis, MN.
290) Matty B's Urban Bar & Restaurant Minneapolis, MN.
291) Woody's Rockford, MN.
292) California Cafe Mall of America Bloomington, MN.
293) Espresso Royale Minneapolis, MN.
294) Sauced Minneapolis, MN.
295) La Bodega Minneapolis, MN.
296) Stone's Stillwater, MN.
297) Fugaise Minneapolis, MN. (closing 3/14/09)
298) City Billiards Minneapolis, MN.
299) Harvey's Minneapolis, MN.
300) The Times Minneapolis, MN.
301) Sam's Wine Shop Minneapolis, MN.
302) Chelly's Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
303) Manny's Tortas Minneapolis, MN.
304) Obrien's Decoy Minneapolis, MN.
305) Applebee's Lake Calhoun Minneapolis
306) Bayport Cookery Bayport, MN.
307) Burrito Loco Minneapolis, MN.
308) Checkered Apron Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
309) Mill City Pizza Minneapolis, MN.
310) Jitters Minneapolis, MN.
311) Tin Cup St. Paul, MN.
312) Three Fish Minneapolis, MN.
313) Bella Sera Wine Bar Ristorante Maple Grove, MN.
314) Cork's Grill & Wine Bar St. Cloud, MN.
315) McMillan’s Restaurant St. Cloud, MN.
316) Roster's Sports Bar & Grill St. Cloud, MN.
317) Bakers Square St. Cloud, MN.
318) Outback Steakhouse St. Cloud, MN.
319) Hooter's Restaurant St. Cloud, MN.
320) River City Restaurant & Pub Chaska, MN.
321) Chestnut's Restaurant & Lounge Chaska, MN.
322) Bayrischer Hof German Restaurant Montrose, MN.
323) Vineyard Restaurant Anoka, MN. closing 5/31/09
324) Wildwood Pizza Mahtomedi, MN. closing 5/12/09
325) Saba's Shakopee, MN.
326) The Little Wagon Minneapolis, MN. (see #89 above)
327) Pressbox Sportsbar & Grill Minneapolis, MN.
328) Mell's Beauty Bar Minneapolis, MN.
329) Boulevard's Bar & Grill Brooklyn Center, MN.
330) Jazzy Fox Bistro Restaurant Fergus Falls, MN.
331) Tacos Blass Minneapolis, MN.
332) Dinkytowner Minneapolis, MN.
333) Safari Restaurant Minneapolis, MN.
334) D'Amico Cucina Butler Square Minneapolis, MN. closing 6/27/09
335) Mabuhay St. Paul, MN.
336) Club 3 Degrees Minneapolis, MN.
337) Trocaderos Minneapolis, MN.
338) Morton's Steakhouse Minneapolis, MN.
339) Al's Bar St.Louis Park, MN. (had been a Twin Cities favorite for 83 years)
340) Mairin's Table Minneapolis, MN.
341) Grandma's Saloon West Duluth, MN. closing by the end of 2009
342) Bellanotte Minneapolis, MN.
343) Gusto Cafe and Wine Bar in Hopkins, MN.
344) Pastrami Jacks' Eden Prairie, MN.
345) Applebee's St. Paul, MN (University Av.)
346) The Lake House Forest Lake, MN.
347) Myth Night Club Maplewood, MN. (Minnesota's largest music venue)
348) Uptown Bar & Grill Minneapolis, MN.
349) Outback Steakhouse Eden Prairie, MN.
350) All American Grill & Brewhouse Waverly, MN.
351) Whole Hog Heaven Waconia, MN
352) Figlio's Minneapolis, MN
353) Decoy's Grill & Bar White Bear Lake, MN
354) Canyon Grille Coon Rapids, MN.
355) Cafe Brenda Minneapolis, MN. (closing Dec. 5, 09)
356) Tejas Edina, MN. (closing Dec. 30, 09)
357) Cafe Agri Minneapolis, MN.
358) Timber Lodge Steakhouse Spring Lake Park, MN.
359) Michael's Steakhouse Worthington, MN.
360) Escape Ultra Lounge Minneapolis, MN.
361) Grizzly's Grill & Saloon Apple Valley, MN.
362) Bella Blaine, MN.
363) Pasquale's Blaine, MN.
364) Black Dawg Bar & Grille Burnsville, MN.
365) Bali Minneapolis, MN.
366) Panino's Minneapolis, MN.
367) Timberlodge Steakhouse St.Cloud, MN.
368) Chamber's Kitchen Minneapolis, MN.369) Hollywood Ranch House New Germany, MN.
370) River Rock Bar & Grill Monticello, MN.
371) Maggiano's Little Italy Eden Prairie, MN.
372) Laredo's Tex-West & Cantina St. Louis Park, MN.
373) Manhattan's Minneapolis, MN.
374) J J's Dry Dock Minneapolis, MN.
375) Pak Zam Zam Minneapolis, MN.
376) Prima Minnetonka, MN.
378) Stacatto Minneapolis, MN.
379) The Green Room Waconia, MN.
380) Renegades Bar & Grill Burnsville, MN.
381) Sawatdee Bar & Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
382) Zake's Minneapolis, MN.
383) Jade Asian Minneapolis, MN.
384) Picosa Minneapolis, MN.
385) Machu Picchu Minneapolis, MN.
386) LoTo St. Paul, MN.
387) Bibo Eagan, MN.
388) Black Bear Lodge & Saloon Rogers, MN.
389) Picosa Minneapolis, MN.
390) Il Vesco Vino (Rizzo's) St. Paul, MN.
391) Canyon Grille Eden Prairie, MN.
392) Breakaway Bar Robinsdale, MN.
393) Viva Italia Eagan, MN (closed 12/2008)
394) Stand Up Franks Minneapolis, MN.
395) Timberlodge Steakhouse Maple Grove, MN.
397) Grape Vine Cafe Duluth, MN.
398) Tejas Texas Grill & Saloon Hermantown, MN.
399) LeGrand Supper Club Duluth, MN.
400) Billy Mac's Rochester, MN.
401) 418 Club Minneapolis, MN.
402) The Rock Maplewood, MN. from Mpls. Star Tribune article comes this quote from owner of The Rock Bar "Brian Bauman said his business took a hit from the statewide smoking ban in 2007..." (highlighted quote is a link to the article, but since the Star Tribune promoted the failed smoking ban policy they will likely remove that link, which is why we at CTA have at least preserved the quote)
403) Zen Asian Minneapolis, MN.
404) Kabobi Eden Prairie, MN.
405) L'Ecosse Minneapolis, MN.
406) NBA City (Target Center Timberwolves Complex) Minneapolis, MN.
407 Major's Sports Cafe Golden Valley, MN.
408) Istanbul Minnetonka, MN.
409) Cowboyz Rockford, MN.
410) Hooter's Minneapolis, MN.
411) Gabby's Minneapolis, MN. (owner personally informed me that revenue losses after the smoking ban were dramatic)
412) Major's Sports Cafe Bloomington, MN.
413) Hell's Kitchen Duluth, MN.
414) Uncle Franky's (Dinkytown) Minneapolis, MN.
415) Harry's Food & Cocktails Minneapolis, MN.
416) Armatage Room Minneapolis, MN.
417) Subo Minneapolis, MN.
418) Rumours & Innuendo St. Paul, MN.
419) Fuddrucker's Maple Grove, MN
420) Fuddrucker's Eden Prairie, MN
421) Fuddrucker's Bloomington, MN
422) Fuddrucker's St. Louis Park, MN
423) Ciento's Golden Valley, MN. (was in Major's #407 location after their closure)
424) Psycho Suzi's Minneapolis, MN. (closing original location to move into former Gabby's #411 location)
425) Sauce Pizza & Wine St. Louis Park, MN.
426) Ringo St. Louis Park, MN.
427) Moon Rock Bar & Grill Champlin, MN.
428) Palomino Restaurant & Bar Minneapolis, MN.
429) Da Afghan Bloomington, MN.
430) Cafe Bonxai St. Paul, MN.
431) JJ's on Main Street Annandale, MN. ending a 75-year run that began not long after the repeal of Prohibition. story here
432) Kieran's Irish Pub (name later changed to Old Pub) Minneapolis, MN. was a local favorite for 16 years (this is the original location at 4th & 2nd)
433) Azia Restaurant & Bar Minneapolis, MN.
434) Volnay Bistro Bar Wayzata, MN.
435) The Kitchen Stillwater, MN. (reported as closed in City Pages)
436) Town Talk Diner Minneapolis, MN. (reported as closed)
437) Liberty Frozen Custard Minneapolis, MN. (closing 1/28/11)
438) Pop Restaurant St. Paul, MN.
439) Hot Shots Night Club / Burnsville Bowl Burnsville, MN. listed as closed on this website
440) Tri-City American Legion Post # 513 New Brighton, MN. more here
441) TGI Friday's Roseville, MN. more here
442) Pearson's Restaurant Edina, MN. more here
443) OM Minneapolis, MN. more here
444) The Favor Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
445) 20.21 (Wolgang Puck) Minneapolis, MN (final dinner service 3/12/11)
446) Baja Sol Cantina Eden Prairie, MN.
447) Le Crazy Taste Bakery Minneapolis, MN.
448) Kozy's Steak & Seafood Edina, MN.
449) Aperitif Woodbury, MN.
450) Tillie's Bean Minneapolis, MN.
451) Tea Garden St. Paul, MN.
452) Willie D's Southern Style Minneapolis, MN.
453) Fishman's St. Louis Park, MN.
454) Applebees (Block E) Minneapolis, MN. more here
455) 501 Club Minneapolis, MN.
456) Baggan's Pub Fridley, MN.
457) Sharky's Grill & Bar Columbia Heights, MN.
458) Olive Garden Brooklyn Center, MN.
459) Porky's St. Paul, MN. (local icon for 58 years now closed)
460) Guadalajara Restaurant Monticello, MN.
461) Forum Restaurant and Bar Minneapolis, MN.
462) Panchero's Mexican Grill Minneapolis, MN.
463) Schumachers Hotel & Grill New Prague, MN.
464) Time Out Restaurant & Sports Bar Blaine, MN
465) Space Aliens Blaine, MN.
466) Purple Sandpiper Bloomington, MN.
467) Tinucci's Woodbury, MN.
468) 3 Monkey's Minneapolis, MN.
469) Hard Rock Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
470) NorthCoast Wayzata, MN.
471) Wayzata Eatery Wayzata, MN.
472) Alaska Eatery St. Louis Park, MN.
473) Karma Minneapolis, MN
474) Joe Senser's Sports Bar & Grill Eagan, MN.
475) The Inn Minneapolis, MN.
476) Soul Daddy at Mall of America Bloomington, MN.
477) La Sirena Gorda Minneapolis, MN.
478) Pacific Islander Minneapolis, MN.
479) Bumper's Restaurant & Sports Bar Burnsville, MN.
480) Yukon Club Minneapolis, MN.
481) Union Bar Minneapolis, MN.
482) Barnacle Bill's Brooklyn Center, MN.
483) Doc Holiday's Delano, MN.
484) Turtle Bread Minneapolis, MN.
485) CiCi's Pizza Plymouth, MN.
486) Cici's Pizza St. Paul, MN.
487) Cici's Pizza Eagan, MN.
488) IL Gatto Minneapolis, MN.
489) Duplex Restaurant / Bar Minneapolis, MN.
490) Time Out Restaurant & Sports Bar Eagan, MN.
491) Bullwinkle's Saloon Minneapolis, MN.
492) Prairie Ale House Eden Prairie, MN.
493) TGIFriday's Woodbury, MN.
494) Tickle's Piano Bar Minneapolis, MN.
495) 414 Soundbar Minneapolis, MN.
496) Banana Joe's Minneapolis, MN.
497) Woodbury Grill Woodbury, MN.
498) Tubby's Bar & Grill Minneapolis, MN.
499) Sunny's Bar Minneapolis, MN.
500) Sunnyside Up Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
501) Cafe Twenty Eight Minneapolis, MN.
502) TGI Friday's Rochester, MN.
503) Aviary Restaurant Rochester, MN.
512) Champps Americana Sports Bar & Grill (Butler Square) Minneapolis, MN.
513) Rosen's Bar & Grill Minneapolis, MN.
514) John O's Brooten, MN.
516) Nikki's Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
517) Chan's Chinese Restaurant Eden Prairie, MN.
518) Gladius Minneapolis, MN.
519) Drink Minneapolis, MN.
520) Smalley's 87 Minneapolis, MN.
522) Senser's Bar & Grill Plymouth, MN.
523) Hooter's Burnsville, MN.
524) Scooter's Bar & Grill Big Lake, MN.
525) Nick & Eddie Restaurant/Bar Minneapolis, MN.
526) Caribe Bistro St. Paul, MN.
527) Vescio's Trattoria (skyway location) Minneapolis, MN
528) Aribel's Richfield, MN.
529) Risotto Restaurant & Bar Minneapolis, MN.
530) Lakeside Drive-In Big Lake, MN.
531) O'Malley's on Main Prior Lake, MN.
532) Spin NightClub Minneapolis, MN.
533) Star Bar Columbia Heights, MN
534) Jack's Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
535) Mill City Cafe Minneapolis, MN.
536) Chico's Restaurant & Bar Onamia, MN.
537) Bennigan's Moorehead, MN.
538) Mikki B's Anoka, MN.
539) Kabob's Indian Grill Maple Grove, MN.
540) Taj Indian Grill St. Anthony, MN.
541) M & S Grill Minneapolis, MN.
542) 620 Grill Northfield, MN.
543) Throwbacks Grille & Bar Woodbury, MN.
544) Richard's Restaurant & Pub St. Peter, MN.
545) Cedars Grille St. Peter, MN.
546) Matty's Brainerd, MN.
547) T.G.I. Friday's Mankato, MN.
548) Famous Dave's Mankato, MN.
549) Coffee News Cafe St. Paul, MN.
550) Howl at the Moon piano bar Minneapolis, MN.
551) The Hanger Room Willernie, MN.
552) Abdul's Afandy Minneapolis, MN.
553) Chula Vista Mexican Restaurant & Cantina St. Paul, MN.
554) Chico's Place Becker, MN.
555) Bootlegger's Minneapolis, MN.
556) Salida Depot Big Lake, MN.
557) Basement Bar & Grill Prior Lake, MN.
558) Aura Restaurant & Bar Minneapolis, MN.
559) PrimeBar Minneapolis, MN
560) Kinsen Noodles and Bar Minneapolis, MN.
561) Cat-Man-Do Minneapolis, MN.
562) D'Amico Kitchen Chambers Hotel Minneapolis, MN.
563) King & I Thai Lounge & Restaurant Minneapolis, MN.
564) Kikugawa Sushi Minneapolis, MN.
565) Thom Pham's Wondrous Azian Kitchen Minneapolis, MN.
566) El Meson Minneapolis, MN.
567) Papa's Restaurant Minneapolis, MN.
*list of closures in Hennepin & Ramsey Counties in Minnesota since smoking ban implementation 3/31/2005, as reported by members of the public, and when possible verified with the respective city.......reports of bar / restaurant closures due to smoking ban apparently are not being reported by the Star & Tribune.....perhaps because of their editorial agenda in favor of smoking bans.
(Ventilation equipment is allowed in the industrial workplace to remove welding smoke, why not in the hospitality workplace to remove tobacco smoke? The fact that Nicoderm, Nicorette, Nicotrol, money via RWJF is used to finance smoking ban lobbyists is the likely reason......it's all about making money not concern for health)
Apparently the pro-smoking ban activists lied to lawmakers and the employees who would later lose their jobs. when they stated that smoking bans were good for business.
The pharmaceutical nicotine industry which funds non-profit organizations to lobby in favor of smoking bans, continue to tell lawmakers that smoking bans are a boon for business. However, the business owners previously mentioned, and laid-off employees tell a different story.What motivates Nicoderm, Nicoderm CQ, Nicotrol, and Chantix drug makers Johnson & Johnson Company, Pfizer, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) to continue funding smoking ban efforts? Nearly $1 billion in smoking cessation products sales annually for starters.
Johnson & Johnson’s private foundation, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), has provided hundreds of millions of dollars to smoking ban lobbyists; such as the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, American Non-Smoker’s Rights, etc. The motive appears to be a rent seeking agenda, J & J’s wholly owned subsidiary ALZA manufactures Nicoderm and Nicoderm CQ for GSK; additionally J & J’s purchase of Pfizer home healthcare products unit means J & J also profits from Nicotrol product sales. Nicoderm, Nicoderm CQ, and Nicotrol products are alternative tobacco products, which directly benefit from smoking bans. Here in Minnesota, Blue Cross Blue Shield, as well as ClearWay MN crowed about the three-fold increase in demand for alternative nicotine products after smoking ban legislation was implemented. Perhaps a BOYCOTT of all Johnson & Johnson products is the proper response to their lack of ethical business practice.
But that's the dilemma our local politicians find themselves in........on the one side is the rich and powerful special interest group demanding laws that financially benefit their marketing interests.....and on the other side is the individual whose rights they were elected to uphold and serve. I guess it all comes down to a simple question: are they a servant of the people, or a slave to big money interests?
Oh.....and then there are these pesky little air quality test results that prove secondhand smoke concentrations are 2.6 – 25,000 times safer than OSHA workplace air quality standards.
It's clearly time to reverse these anti-business smoking ban laws, in light of the fact that politicians are influenced by distorted and omitted data from the pharmaceutical nicotine industry and the non-profit organizations in their employ. Especially when you consider the tens of thousands of individuals now unemployed due to these onerous and unnecessary laws.
(text in red = supporting data hyperlink)
There has been a concerted effort by local politicians and the media to dismiss hospitality closings due to our overall economic slump. However, over 200 of the closings above ocurred between 3/31/05 (date of local smoking ban inception) - 12/31/07 , which not only preceeded our economic slump; but was the cause of our economic slump.
Liberal politicians and Nicoderm funded smoking ban activists were the catalyst in destroyng business and jobs thru over regulation.......and subsequently our local and global economies. (MN Republican party platform included a plank to oppose property rights destroying smoking bans see section 7 paragraph S)
Elsewhere smoking bans eliminated 100,000+ jobs: